Trail Guidelines in the Urban Wilderness
Please obey these guidelines for a safe activity and to help maintain the trails:
- Natural trails have uneven surfaces and obstacles – use at your own risk.
- Plan ahead, know your ability and hike within your limits.
- Obey all signs.
- Pedestrians have the right of way on multi-use trails – Bicycle riders yield to pedestrians unless otherwise posted.
- Keep pets leashed and under control (county ordinance)
- Leave no trace –avoid use in wet conditions and pack out your trash.
- Stay on designated trails. Sections of these trails cross private property and are marked “Private Land.” Please respect the generosity of these landowners who allow public access to their property.
Restrooms and water located at Ijams Nature Center and Quarries.
Trail Difficulty Ratings
Note: Obstacles may be challenging for bicycles but may be relatively easy to navigate for walkers and runners. Obstacles may include rocks, drop offs, logs, water, bridges and boardwalks.
Surface: hard, 72" wide or more
Maximum Grade: 5%
Bike Skills: beginner
EASY - LESS DIFFICULT
Surface: hard or natural surface, 36" wide or more
Maximum Grade: 5%-10%
Mountain Bike Skills: basic
Surface: natural surface, 24" wide or more
Maximum Grade: 15% or more
Mountain Bike Skills: intermediate
Surface: natural surface, 12" wide or more
Maximum Grade: 20% or more
Obstacles: technical & unavoidable
Mountain Bike Skills: advanced