Mountain Biking in the Urban Wilderness
Over 50 miles of connect, natural surface trails within Knoxville’s Urban Wilderness provide unparalleled biking experiences for adventurers of all skill levels. A variety of terrain and destinations creates great views, great adventures and the chance to return again and again for a new experience. The majority of the trails are multi-use trails for bikers.
Three dedicated downhill trails create a fun challenge for avid mountain bikers navigate through special places with the Urban Wilderness Trail System. A signed 12.5-mile loop route guides you through five destinations and back to your start.
Restrooms and water are available at Ijams Nature Center and Ijams Quarries.
Places to Mountain Bike in the Urban Wilderness
- Avoid riding when trails are wet to prevent erosion and trail damage.
- Helmets are recommended for all riders; full-face helmets are recommended for downhill trails.
- Downhill riders yield to uphill riders, unless otherwise posted.
- Be considerate of novices and family groups.
- Bikers yield to pedestrians unless otherwise posted. Call out or ring a bell for warning when approaching pedestrians.
- Ride within your abilities – users assume all risks.
- Portions of the trail may contain sections that exceed your skill level or posted difficulty rating. Cyclists should dismount and walk if necessary.