The Riverdale School on Thorn Grove Pike was established in the late 1800s. The original structure was replaced by a New Deal-assisted project in 1936, a new school designed by the durable Knoxville architectural firm of Barber and McMurry. Riverdale Elementary taught area children for 47 years. It closed in 1985 due to the fact that by then fewer than 100 students were attending. After some years of vacancy, it was renovated by a professional couple who have occupied it as an unusual single-family residence, occasionally opening their building for community events.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a private residence with no public parking.