An old brick house, long home to a business called Engert Plumbing, is actually an antebellum residence, built in 1850 to be the home of farmer Samuel McCammon. However, the property was already "historic" when McCammon broke ground to build the house. After he lived in the fortified settlement known as Knoxville, around 1800, White chose to live here in the country, in a "saddleback" style house. (It was certainly quieter than the town he had founded, especially as the number of taverns and bars multiplied.) While living here, well outside town but within walking distance, White remained involved in public affairs, serving on the state senate and helping Knoxville establish its first church, First Presbyterian, which built its 1816 chapel on what had previously been White's turnip patch. White kept his home here for about two decades. He died here in 1821 and was buried at the churchyard he made possible. His Riverside cabin was taken apart around 1852, soon after the McCammon house was built. About 130 years later, archaeologist Charles Faulkner found multiple artifacts of White's time here, including bits of fine china, trinkets traded with the Cherokee, what was probably White's Masonic watch fob.
PLEASE NOTE: The only parking is located at Engert Plumbing. May be busy during business hours.