Phil Kline's Unsilent Night is a free outdoor participatory sound sculpture of many individual parts, recorded on cassettes, CDs, and mp3s, and played through a roving swarm of boomboxes carried through city streets every December. People bring their own boomboxes and drift peacefully through a cloud of sound which is different from every listener's perspective. Since 1992, this 45-minute work has grown into a worldwide annual communal event that has become an essential part of many winter holiday celebrations.
With your help, we will create this roving sound installation, where boomboxes replace voices in a holiday caroling event like no other! You bring a boombox, cassette tape player, iPod/iPhone/iPad with speakers, or any other media playing device you wish, and Nief-Norf will supply a CD, cassette tape, or digital download of one of the four parts of the piece. We all press play together, and walk through the streets of downtown Knoxville, creating a cacophony of bells, voices, and reverberant joy that will make heads turn on every corner.
Want to join us? It's easy:
1. Fill out the form on our website: http://www.niefnorf.org/2019-20-season/2019/12/6/phil-klines-unsilent-night-in-knoxville.
2. Go to http://unsilentnight.com/participate.html to learn more about the piece and download the free App if you want to use an iDevice.
3. Meet us at Casual Pint from 6:30-8:30pm for drinks and good company.
4. Following libations, we will meet at 9PM at the base (bottom) of the Knoxville Sunsphere. We will get organized, then walk at 9:30 across the bridge and into downtown Knoxville!
5. Join our Facebook event, share it with your friends, and help spread the word!
Note: The success of the piece very much depends on having quality speakers (either line-connected to your device or battery-powered devices). Please do not plan to simply play the audio off of your iPhone / iPad / Laptop speakers. Thanks!
If you have any questions, just email us at email@example.com!