Garden Delivery CSA is a modern twist on Community Supported Agriculture (CSA). In a traditional CSA model, members are required to buy shares of a farm. These shares can range in price from $100-$500 depending on the farm and the share size your family wants to purchase. This upfront expense is not always a feasible option for many people. In addition, members of traditional CSAs are often left with unused, wasted foods or foods they may not enjoy week-to-week.
These two issues, unaffordability and food waste, are how the unique model for Garden Delivery CSA was born. Garden Delivery CSA does not require share purchases or upfront expensive costs. We allow our members to order weekly from a convenient custom online ordering website with no minimum order commitment. We encourage our members to order what you want, when you want. That way, you are sure to get only the food you need and want on only the weeks you need it.
Founded in 2007 by Stephen Clements and Theresa Schroeder, Garden Delivery CSA began as a small cooperative of six local family-owned farms in Jefferson County, Tennessee. The original CSA provided fresh produce, eggs, honey and herbs to the community via an online ordering mechanism. Stephen worked hard to build the business from scratch and, by 2015, had over 100 active CSA members. My partner and I own a small, woman-owned & operated, naturally grown farm (2 chicks and a farm) in Jefferson City, TN. Stephen invited us to join his CSA cooperative as a produce vendor in 2014, and we were honored to do so.
In 2016, Stephen decided he wanted to retire from the CSA and sold the business to my partner and me. At that time, we decided to expand his original concept model and offer additional value-added products through a custom online ordering portal (www.gardendeliverycsa.com). Over the course of several months, we added additional vendors to our cooperative, online CSA and expanded our delivery locations to seven area locations in Knox, Sevier and Jefferson Counties. We believe our non-traditional model and varied delivery locations allow people access to good healthy foods regardless of income or ability to order each week.
We currently offer a variety of products from 16 local area vendors including: 100% naturally grown produce, an assortment of meat (beef, pork and chicken), honey, eggs, handcrafted soap, baked goods, bread, organic coffee, pasta and jams/jellies. In addition to individual products, we feature a weekly ‘recipe kit’ that includes multiple products from our vendors in one complete recipe package.
Our 16 active vendor partners include:
- 2 chicks and a farm (100% naturally grown produce/sprout/flowers)
- Bird Song Farm (100% naturally grown produce/eggs)
- The Breadshed Café (assorted regular and gluten free breads)
- Country Lane Farm (100% certified naturally grown produce/eggs)
- Dale's Fried Pies (famous fried pies)
- Dudash Farms (non-GMO pork and beef)
- Gretta’s Handcrafted Country Soap (handcrafted soap)
- Honey Creek Farms Produce (100% naturally raised chicken)
- Kelly's Pasta (handmade flavored pastas)
- Lacewing Farms (100% naturally grown produce)
- Mossy Creek Mushrooms (homegrown mushrooms)
- Mountain Meadows Farm (handmade apple butter)
- Seven Springs Farm (100% naturally raised pork and beef)
- Tall Cedar Farm (100% naturally grown produce)
- Three Bears Coffee (Organic coffee)
- Tyler Honey (100% naturally grown produce/raw honey & beeswax products)
Our current delivery locations include:
- Three Rivers Market
- John Bynon Park
- Uncle Lem’s Mountain Outfitters (West Knoxville location)
- Pet Safe Campus
- Uncle Lem’s Mountain Outfitters (South Knoxville location – coming in March!)
- University of Tennessee Medical Center (coming in May!)
- Healthy Balance Meals
- The Bonner Center (Carson Newman University)
- Douglas Lake Dike (Dandridge)
The mission of our business remains the same today as it was 10 years ago when Stephen started it: to provide locally sourced "real" food at reasonable prices to our community. To find out more about our cooperative CSA, sign up for our weekly order email list or see how the program works, please visit our website: www.gardendeliverycsa.com. You can also follow us on Facebook @CSAGardenDelivery and Instagram (gardendeliverycsa).