On Wednesday, September 23rd at 4PM, Dogwood Arts, along with officials from ORNL Federal Credit Union, the American Museum of Science and Energy, and the Oak Ridge City Council will celebrate the recent installation of three new sculptures in Oak Ridge with a ribbon cutting ceremony. The Dogwood Arts Art in Public Places Sculpture Program has seen significant growth over the past several years––expanding into Oak Ridge through tremendous support from our presenting sponsor, ORNL Federal Credit Union, and partnerships with Oak Ridge City Councilman Jim Dodson and the American Museum of Science & Energy.
Neutron Star 2 by Hanna Jubran, Discovery by Fisher Stolz, and Outer Orbits by John Ross will be dedicated at the ribbon cutting on Wednesday. Outer Orbits by John Ross was purchased by ORNL Federal Credit Union and will be permanently on display in Jackson Square. The sculptures were originally installed in June 2020 but dedication ceremonies were delayed due to COVID-19.
When: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 4PM
Where: The ribbon cutting ceremony will begin at ORNL Federal Credit Union (215 S Rutgers Ave, Oak Ridge, TN 37830), then proceed to the American Museum of Science and Energy (115 E Main St, Oak Ridge, TN 37830), and conclude at Jackson Square (223 Jackson Sq, Oak Ridge, TN 37830).
The full exhibition includes 23 sculptures that are on display throughout the greater Knoxville area through June 2021: in Downtown Knoxville (Krutch Park, Country Music Park, the UT Gardens), East Knoxville (Zoo Knoxville, The Muse), West Knoxville (ORNL Federal Credit Union–Northshore Branch), Oak Ridge (American Museum of Science & Energy, Jackson Square, ORNL Federal Credit Union–Oak Ridge Branch), and Maryville/Alcoa (McGhee Tyson Airport). This year’s ambitious collection of sculptures created by artists from across the country was selected by local artist and UT professor of Sculpture, John Douglas Powers.
About Art in Public Places:
The Art in Public Places program brings art outside, adding character and beauty to our city streets and park spaces. The program includes an annually rotating, outdoor sculpture exhibition and a large-scale mural program that is entering its second year. The sculptures are installed in prominent locations throughout Knoxville, Oak Ridge, and Alcoa. Started in 2007 by Eddie Mannis and Bart Watkins, the sculpture program has curated and installed over 240 works of art and gained national recognition as a platform for exhibiting world-class sculptors.
Dogwood Arts, presented by ORNL Federal Credit Union, is a 501(c)3 organization with a mission to promote and celebrate our region’s art, culture, and natural beauty. For more information on Dogwood Arts, visit www.dogwoodarts.com or call (865) 637-4561.
ORNL Federal Credit Union (S. Rutgers Ave.)
- Sculpture: Neutron Star 2 by Hanna Jubran
- Material: Steel, Paint | Cost: $35,000
- Sponsored by: ORNL Federal Credit Union
- About the Artist: Hanna Jubran received his M.F.A. in sculpture from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and is currently a Sculpture Professor and Sculpture Area Coordinator at East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina. Hanna’s work addresses the concepts of time, movement, balance and space. Each sculpture occupies and creates its own reality influenced by its immediate surroundings. The work does not rely on one media to evoke the intended response, but takes advantage of compatible materials such as wood, granite, steel, iron and bronze.
- Artist Website: https://hannajubran.com/home.html
American Museum of Science & Energy
- Sculpture: Discovery by Fisher Stolz
- Material: Wood, Steel, Epoxy, Paint | Cost: $20,000
- Sponsored by: ORNL Federal Credit Union
- About the Artist: Fisher Stolz is a sculptor exhibiting nationally, with public work currently located at the Hamilton Transit Center in New Jersey, in the Chicago Sculpture Exhibit, Art in Public Places, Knoxville, Tennessee, Skokie Northshore Sculpture Park, Sculptfusion in Michigan City, Indiana, the Urbana Park District and other locations. His sculpture is created primarily in stainless steel, cast metals and stone that range in scale from interior pedestal pieces through large outdoor works. He is the Sculpture Area Head at Bradley University. Fisher received his Master of Fine Arts Degree from the University of Georgia and has studied and taught sculpture abroad in Cortona, Italy. He serves on the International Sculpture Center Board of Trustees and a member of Chicago Sculpture International, where he served as vice president. His home and studio are in Washington, Illinois.
- Artist Website: https://www.fisherstolz.com/
- Sculpture: Outer Orbits by John Ross
- Material: Steel, paint | ORNL Federal Credit Union Purchased For The City of Oak Ridge
- About the Artist: Ross was born and raised in Morganton, NC. He has an AFA degree from Western Piedmont community college, where he studied sculpture and painting. Ross grew up surrounded by his mother and fathers paintings and photography, which helped shape his love of art. In college, Ross also picked up welding which led him to explore the possibilities of kinetic sculptures fabricated from steel and other hardware.
- Artist Website: https://www.johnrossmetalsculptures.com/