What’s better than free outdoor music on Market Square? Get ready to swing, rock, hum or croon with hundreds of fellow music lovers at the City of Knoxville’s Concerts on the Square music series. The Jazz Tuesdays and Variety Thursdays concerts will both return to in May.
Marble City 5 will provide the cool jazz on Tuesdays, from May 6 through August 26. The free tunes will flow from 8-10 p.m. on the stage at the Bill Lyons Pavilion. Prestige Cleaners is presenting Jazz Tuesdays.
The Variety Thursdays concert series starts May 1 and ends June 26. From 7-9 p.m. (unless otherwise noted in the schedule below) on consecutive Thursdays, get a sampling of the wide variety of genres performed by local bands – from classical music to blues, from swing to Americana, from soft rock to country.
All concerts are free – and that even includes parking, which is free after 6 p.m. at the City-owned Market Square, State Street and Locust Street garages.
There will be no alcohol or food sold on Market Square during the concerts, apart from what is available on the patios of surrounding restaurants. But concertgoers are invited to bring chairs or blankets to sit on the Square and enjoy the shows.
Please like and follow the Special Events Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/CityofKnoxvilleSpecialEvents, to stay updated on the bands and on any cancellations due to the weather.
Here is the schedule for Variety Thursdays:
- May 1 -- Knoxville Symphony Orchestra, Symphony on the Square, presented by Home Federal Bank -- 7:30-9 p.m.
- May 8 -- The Coveralls
- May 15 -- The Knoxville Community Band -- 7-8 p.m.
- May 22 -- Blackwater Roots
- May 29 -- Swingtime Ensemble Group
- June 5 -- Knoxville Live (JD Bradley & Johnny Newcomb; Subtle Clutch; Laurel Wright) – 6-9 p.m.
- June 12 -- Old City Buskers
- June 19 -- Baseball the Band
- June 26 -- Kelsey’s Woods