KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Come celebrate Earth Day at Knoxville’s 15th annual EarthFest. The one day festival will take place on Saturday, April 26 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at World’s Fair Park in downtown Knoxville. As always, EarthFest is a free, zero-waste event with educational exhibits, kids’ activities, food and live entertainment for the whole family, including pets.
During a zero-waste event, exhibitors and food vendors control the types of materials they sell or distribute in order to minimize waste. Food is served on reusable Frisbees, water stations are available to refill bottles and there are no trash cans on site. EarthFest organizers provide recycling and composting opportunities for everything distributed at the event.
Along with nearly 100 exhibitors and attractions, attendees will also have the opportunity to take part in an EarthFest educational scavenger hunt. Participants will get their scavenger hunt player card stamped as they answer questions at select vendor booths around the festival. Once completed, participants will be entered to win a grand prize and other giveaways going on every hour.
Other on-site events and activities will include:
- Live music on the stage:
1 to 2:30 p.m. Mac Comer & the Coo Cool Kidders
3 to 4:30 p.m. Grandpa’s Stash
5 to 6:30 p.m. Marina Orchestra
- Youth area with free kids crafts:
T-shirt tote bags, milk carton coin purses, plastic bottle piggy banks, cardboard roll binoculars and more.
- Meet-and-greet envirocharacter exhibit, which is fairy tale themed this year
- Medic blood drive
- Fuel-efficient car showcase organized by East Tennessee Clean Fuels
- Free tree and shrub giveaway (blackgum, beautyberry and buttonbush while supplies last) by the Town of Farragut Stormwater Matters and sustainability programs
- Free recycling bin giveaway (while supplies last) by Keep Knoxville Beautiful
- Mercury thermometer exchange by the City of Knoxville Solid Waste Department
- Cell phone recycling at the Sprint booth
- Incandescent light bulb exchange by KUB (exchange for a new CFL bulb)
- Free tree seedling giveaway (while supplies last) by the City of Knoxville Tree Board
- Free radon test kit giveaway by TDEC
- Rain barrel truckload sale by the Water Quality Forum (at the Blackstock parking lot)
For more information on EarthFest 2014, including a detailed list of sponsors, on-site activities and scavenger hunt prizes, visit www.knox-earthfest.org.